Community Musculoskeletal (MSK) Physiotherapy Self-Referral
MSK Physiotherapy self-referral is a system which allows you to refer yourself directly to a physiotherapist without having to see a doctor first.
Can I self-refer myself to physiotherapy?
You can self-refer yourself directly to a Community MSK Physiotherapy Clinic via your GP surgery if you meet the following criteria:
- 18 years old or over
- Injuries or conditions affecting your joints, muscles and tendons
- Back or neck pain
- Sports injuries
Which patients/conditions are not accepted via self-referral?
- If you are under 18 years of age
- If you require treatment for a neurological condition including stroke, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, motor neuron disease etc.
- If you are in need of mobility aids such as a walking stick, crutches, frames etc.
- If you are housebound
- If you are pregnant with back pain during pregnancy or up to 3 months after delivery. You will need to see your local women’s health team. St Mary’s Hospital accept self-referrals directly by calling 0161 276 6411
If your referral is not appropriate it will be rejected and sent back to your GP who will decide on the next step in the management of your condition.
Can I refer for multiple problems?
We request that you refer for just one condition per referral. This is to keep waiting times down and improve the quality of your care.
How does it work?
Please complete a Physiotherapy Self Referral form. It is important that you complete the form fully, making sure your address and contact details are up to date and giving as much information as possible regarding your condition. Any missing information may result in a delay in you being seen.
What happens next?
Your GP surgery will check your referral before forwarding this to the Community MSK Physiotherapy team. You will then be added to our waiting list. Once you are at the front of the waiting list the physiotherapy department will send you a letter requesting you to phone us and book your initial assessment.
Please note – Community Physiotherapy Clinics are based within Community Health Centres and not at the hospital.